Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The kindness of 4 year olds

So this morning I was woken up at 630 (half hour before my alarm) by my 13 year old daughter saying the toilet had overflowed.  I got out of bed to assess the situation, envisioning just a little overflow and a toilet needing to be plunged. 

When I arrived at the bathroom I was distressed to find that I had majorly underestimated the situation. The smell was horrible, there were two soaked towels on the floor and still there was standing water.  I immediately asked, "how many times did flush it???". She said just once.  I told her it was obviously more than just once, and she then said "I don't know. Maybe 3 or 4 times?!"

OMG.

I had her help get the wet towels to the washing machine and take out the trash and get her sister breakfast, and then let her get on her way to school while I continued to deal with the flooded bathroom.  On her way out the door she says "bye Mom. Have a good day!". As I'm on my hands and knees soaking up toilet water from the bathroom floor, I grumble to myself, "ya, thanks... I'm going to have a *GREAT* day.

So half an hour later I've arranged to come into work late, I haven't showered yet, I'm still in sweatpants and a tanktop, I've been cleaning up toilet water for an hour, and have my arm down the heater vents trying to dry out and sanitize in hopes that my house won't smell like a toilet from now on, my 4 year old has been running around and jabbering at me non stop.  Then she comes up next to me and says, "mommy....?" I'm really about to lose it.... "yeeeees?" I say and turn to look at her with my arm still in the vent. 

"You look very beautiful"

Kind of melted my heart a little.  It was so sweet that she would be so kind and make me feel beautiful and loved in a moment of such ugliness.


No comments:

Post a Comment