Saturday, January 7, 2012

13 hours and 19 minutes minutes until I'm 30!

Yikes!  Time flies!  Tomorrow I will be 30.  The past few years I've viewed this birthday as hugely significant.  Now suddenly I feel like I've already been 30 for a long time and I'm in some kind of time warp! Weird.  I guess this means I'm really an adult (not a young adult..) unless that happens at 40??

I have ideas of who I want to be as a 30 year old Amanda.  Here they are:

A cherished mother:  I want to be patient and kind and fun, and have my children look back at their childhood memories of me with fondness.  It's not too late right?

A good wife:  I struggled with the word for this, and I guess "good" will have to do.  I want to be supportive to my husband, and make him feel loved and important to me.  I want to give as much as I take.

A professional:  In my early 20's, I climbed fairly quickly in my career from a part time receptionist to a Registrar - a manager on the executive committee.  Now I've been at this level for a number of years and it's about time I started *fitting*.  I'm sure one of these days I won't be the youngest person at my management level, so now that I'm 30 I want to fit in better and not feel like a kid just along for the mentorship.

A girlfriend (to women):  I want to be friends with other women and occasional do something like go out for drinks, or coffee, or dessert, or hang out while kids play together, or go shopping.  Seems like it would be nice.  In my 20's I always felt like I was at a different stage in life than most women in their 20's and I see that starting to level out now, where I don't feel like an outcast due to my life choices.

Be "Put Together": I want to paint my nails pretty colors, wear shiny lip gloss, dress fashionably and appear put together - elegant and sophisticated... can I pull that off?  I'm going to work on it.  I got a new coat and it helped this feeling for me.. not sure what I'll do outside of wearing the coat, but I just want people to look at me say, wow she's really looks like she has it together. (whatever that means).

I guess that's what it really comes down to for me with being 30.  I feel like I should be all these things, and I know that all of these areas need work, (some more than others).  It makes me feel a certain level of pressure... but I have time right?  It doesn't have to magically come together the moment I turn 30.




No comments:

Post a Comment